Manager, Strategic Initiatives and Communications
The Manager of Strategic Initiatives and Communications will focus on supporting the design and growth of Michigan Corps' key initiatives, including Kiva Michigan and the Michigan Social Entrepreneurship Challenge, as well as managing communications across multiple platforms to grow Michigan Corps’ impact.
This position will principally focus on the growth and development of Michigan Corps’ Kiva Detroit initiative. The individual will work with a local network of community partners to recruit businesses for the program, provide technical guidance to entrepreneurs throughout the application process, and support the expansion of the program through community outreach and engagement.
This role will also manage the development of organization-wide content and outreach communications including, but not limited to, social media, email newsletters, press releases, videos and blogging. This position will also support the Michigan Corps Executive Director in all partner, client and funder communications.
1) Initiative Strategy & Development
a) Kiva Detroit
- Guide prospective borrowers through loan application process and technical assistance in areas including basic financial literacy and credit management;
- Lead efforts to manage portfolio of loan candidates through development, vetting, application, and fundraising processes;
- Recruit community leaders to refer businesses as members of Team Kiva Detroit;
- Design and coordinate quarterly networking events for Kiva Detroit (examples include Kiva SOUP and Kiva Detroit cash mobs);
- Lead community workshops and participate in community panels to share about Kiva Detroit funding opportunities;
- Identify and build relationships with new organization partners working with small businesses;
- Work with Michigan Corps Executive Director and community partners to support the expansion of Kiva statewide, beginning with Kiva Flint.
b) Social Entrepreneurship Challenge
- Work with Michigan Corps Executive Director to develop partnerships across the state key to advancing awareness and increasing submissions to the contest;
- Lead development of Michigan Corps’ digital content strategy for The Challenge including development of web content, social media posts and spotlights on participating social entrepreneurs’ success;
- Support Michigan Corps Executive Director in designing the final Showcase & Pitch event through:
- Crafting ideas for breakout session topics and speakers
- Managing event logistics
- Recruiting event sponsors and marketing partners
2) Communications Strategy and Management
- Meet with Corps Members, organization partners and clients to gather written & visual content, document, and share stories that celebrate social innovation across Michigan;
- Publish dynamic digital content with a focus on audience engagement through website news flashes and social media platforms;
- Use content to develop and distribute monthly email newsletter;
- Support Executive Director in web application development for Social Entrepreneurship Challenge;
- Draft press releases for purposes of media engagement;
- Track and manage engagement using Google Analytics and report metrics in quarterly updates;
- Manage brand assets and supply up-to-date, customized documents when needed.
Desired Skills & Experience
- Extremely high degree of personal and professional integrity and sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics
- High degree of flexibility, self-motivation and problem-solving ability
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Works as a team player but must be able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Background and/or current study of business, social entrepreneurship, microfinance or similar fields of study
- Experience producing and managing digital content, analytics, social media, press releases and brand assets. Basic video production experience a plus.
- Enthusiasm for Michigan and social entrepreneurship!
Time: This position is full-time; 40 hours/week
Start Date: January 2013
Compensation & Benefits
- Fulfilling work environment at a supportive and entrepreneurially-driven organization in one of Detroit’s most unique co-working spaces, the Green Garage
- A competitive compensation package and employer-sponsored medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Generous vacation and sick leave benefits plus 9 paid holidays per year
- Access to numerous professional development opportunities
Location: Michigan Corps is based at the Green Garage Business Incubator: 4444 Second Ave. Detroit, MI.
TO APPLY: The application deadline for this position is December 20th, 2013. Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com with subject line “Manager, Strategic Initiatives and Communications”
About Michigan Corps
Michigan Corps' mission is to ensure all Michiganders are able to connect and advance social innovation statewide. We pursue this by creating a platform that unveils modern tools that empower our ‘Corps' to partner with one another on exciting initiatives both online and offline. Our ‘fellowship program' extends an opportunity to support the roll-out and growth of these initiatives across local communities in Michigan.
Michigan Corps' work led to the founding of Kiva Detroit (kivadetroit.org), the first community-organized, micro lending initiative in U.S. history and the first commitment announced at the 2011 Clinton Global Initiative America conference. Michigan Corps organizes community leaders representing the non-profit, for-profit and faith based sectors to support a working group of Detroit citizens who nominate and champion small businesses for microloans through Kiva.
Michigan Corps has received awards from Crain's Detroit Business, the Echoing Green Fellowship for Social Entrepreneurship, and the Clinton Global Initiative being featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, the Detroit Free Press, the Detroit News, the Associated Press, MSNBC, and additional local and national media.
In 2012, Michigan Corps launched our Fellowship Program, which extends an opportunity for dedicated Fellows to support the growth of our modern engagement and social impact platform in service of Michiganders everywhere. As integral members of the Michigan Corps team, Fellows will play a hands-on leadership role in advancing cutting-edge initiatives on behalf of our nationally-regarded organization.